Friday, January 18, 2008

Music Mania

The piano has made a comeback in our home. Although I took lessons for years growing up, I haven't had many opportunities to play since. My grandparents, in their kindness, even gave me their piano a couple of years ago and still I can't seem to find the time to sit down and play. However, being a substitute piano player in Relief Society has changed all of that. Afterall, who wants to be humiliated every Sunday? I finally have the motivation to do what I've wanted to do all along: just sit down and play. Whenever I want. Everyday.

However, it hasn't come easy. Because, as anyone with children will tell you, the moment you sit down to play, they decide that they'd like to play also. And as much as you try to keep them at the top of the keyboard, their magical sounds soon migrate to your half.

But I've found a solution to this. Behold, Kyle's very own sheet music:


(Please ignore the repeat at the end. I'm retarded.)

I actually stole the idea from a friend, so I can't claim it as my own, but it's brought a whole new love of music to our home. He has several songs to choose from, with corresponding stickers on the piano keys (tip: put them on sticky notes first, then attach to the keys). He LOVES to play and feels so proud that he can actually play real songs.

Solution: Kyle gets his piano time, then I get mine. And he actually leaves me to play in peace. Most of the time.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I love it! I am totally going to "borrow" your idea!!

Cassy said...

Such a cute idea! I'll have to try it. I hope it will work for 3 sets of little fingers. Happy practicing!

Anonymous said...

Ruth,
what a great idea, I've got to try it!
Amie