Monday, October 30, 2006

Stage Fright

Kyle's got a gift for music. Perhaps I'm a little biased (aren't all parents?), but the kid knows his tunes. He can sing pretty much any primary song in the book, belts out "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" and "You're a Grand Old Flag" on a daily basis, and knows the entire soundtrack of "High School Musical" (much to the chagrin of his father). In fact, if he didn't love sports so much and wasn't so obviously "boy," I think we'd start to worry. Just the other day he rested a coat hanger on his shoulder, rubbed his sword across it and said, "Look, mom. I'm playing a violin!" But, I digress...

All week long, he'd been looking forward to the annual primary program. The nursery was invited up to sing the last song, "I Am a Child of God," with the rest of the kids and Kyle practiced his little heart out all week. He even demanded that I clap when he sang especially well. So imagine my surprise when the bishop called the nursery kids up and my little boy developed a sudden case of stage fright. He WOULD NOT go up. I finally coaxed him up on stage, only for him to bury his face in my arm with one eye peeking out at his dad. Finally, when we got to the third verse, he managed to sing the last few words and then ran back down to his seat.

I wonder what next year's program will be like when he actually has a part to perform?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just hope the day doesn't come when Kevin is asked to come up and sit by his son during the program.