Thursday, October 19, 2006

Lenovo...grrrr

After months of working with a quirky computer and dealing with freezes, viruses and adware, we bit the bullet and bought a new notebook computer. Finding that IBM's Thinkpad was the way to go, we plucked down the money, ordered it, and eagerly awaited one of the most expensive purchases we've ever made.

Thinkpads are made by Lenovo, and they promise shipment within 8-10 days. Well folks, I'm here to tell you that's simply not true. Upon checking the status of my computer on the internet, I found that the earliest projected shipment date was October 24th. That's a full 3 1/2 weeks after I placed my order. Not being happy about this, I called the company and was told the date was wrong and my computer would be sent "Within a day or two." Well folks, wrong again. After not receiving it, I called Lenovo again. This time I was told it was being packaged and would be sent out by that weekend. Wrong again. After STILL not receiving my computer, I called back a third time and was told that they were waiting on memory for my computer and it would now be shipped on October 25th.

Meanwhile, my brother had ordered the same computer, a week after me, and was being told his would ship on October 19th. So, as I'm fuming and obsessing about this computer day after day, he's laughing in my face because his is apparently coming.

I say apparently, because I received a phone call from him today. I won't pass his words on to my readers, but he was NOT a happy camper. His computer's been pushed back until November 17th. But while I moaned and groaned to myself (and anyone who would listen), he called them up and gave them a piece of his mind. But to no avail. There's a backorder on both the computers and the memory. If he cancels his memory upgrade, it could possibly ship next week. I guess it's my turn to laugh, but I don't feel much like it.

Yes folks, I want my computer. But more than that, I'm just plain mad. And I think I've narrowed it down to two reasons:

  • Every Lenovo representative I've talked to has given me a different story, which means they've lied to me. I might not be happy with the answer, but don't tell me what you think I want to hear! I want the truth! I can handle it, really...
  • Lenovo could care less about a puny, little customer like me. I'm being told, "Go ahead, cancel your order. We don't care." Therefore, there's nothing I can do about it.
I'll keep you updated, come October 25th...

No comments: