Thursday, August 30, 2007

Text Messaging...the new frontier

My parents received a special box in the mail the other day. It was from AT&T. Thinking it was a special gift or freebie, my mom eagerly ripped it open. Imagine her shock when that special delivery turned out to be THEIR BILL. Yes folks, my parents now get their cell phone bill in a box. And there's a reason for that. It's awfully hard to print 12,110 text messagees on less than 200 pieces of paper. And it's even harder to fit those 249 pieces of paper into a decent sized envelope.


You see, my sister has a problem. Some would call it an addiction. For some odd reason, she cannot resist texting her friends over 400 times a day. Most of these texts are one-liners, many of them are lucky to contain 5 words, and most of them contain the word "haha."


I've heard rumors that text messaging comes up in Bishopric meetings; that youth are being counseled about texting during church. In fact, they say that missionaries are less prepared to go out and communicate with people and soon teenagers won't be able to have a decent conversation because of this new phenomenon.


Back in my high school days, we had a notebook that we passed back and forth. Much more mature, right? I suppose it was the ancient form of text messaging, but I still find this baffling. And hilarious. I laughed my head off when my mom opened that box.


I shudder to think of the technology my children will partake of...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's AWESOME!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's AWESOME!!! I love it!

lance n sarah said...

I totally remember the notebook days. I still have some somewhere. That's so funny. How are you? are you guys still coming to Cali?

Natalie said...

Holy Schnickies! Kids these days :) That was great! I would have loved to have seen your mom's reaction. It must have been classic!

Kimbur said...

I feel so bad for your parents. I cannot believe the obsession kids have with their cell phones!!!

Brandi said...

oh, ruth. i am still laughing a day later. i would have loved to see the looks on your parents face! too funny!