Ready or Not...
Kyle and I tend to have our most meaningful conversations at bedtime. It's here that I catch a glimpse of what's going through my little guy's head and what really matters the most. And sometimes it catches me off guard.
It happened during our teeth-brushing routine last night. As he finished gargling and slurping, he turned to me in all seriousness and said, "I'm sorry I hurt your tummy, Mom."
Me: "What? When did you hurt my tummy?"
Kyle: "When I was a baby. I'm sorry I hurt your tummy when I came out of you."
Looking back, I probably should've left it at that point. But no. Instead I said, "You didn't hurt my tummy."
Kyle: "But I'm sorry they had to cut your tummy open when I came out."
Ruth: "They didn't cut my tummy open."
And here comes the golden question:
Kyle: "Then how did I come out?"
And here's when there was a long p-a-u-s-e and I weakly said, " Ummm, magic?"
Magic?!?!? Come on, Ruth! You can do better than that! I couldn't help it. I froze! I wasn't the slightest big ready to get into that whole conversation. And believe me, my guy wouldn't have accepted a one-sentence explanation. I would've been bombarded with questions.
I've heard that parents need to be prepared for that "birds & the bees" conversation a whole lot earlier these days. And it looks like I've received an "F" in preparation. So does anybody have any advice? A good "birds & the bees" book? Anybody, anybody??
3 comments:
No book, but I gave Nicole the nitty-gritty basics as far as I dared until finally I gave up and said, "Ask your dad." By the time she saw him again, she had forgotten. Worked this time, might not be so lucky next time.
Oh, thanks for the laugh. Um, don't have any advice...I don't know how I'd react, either. Babycenter.com sends me emails, and here's one that talks about the "birds & bees":http://parentcenter.babycenter.com/refcap/preschooler/praising/65696.html
Magic works for me now. If you had an epidural it was as good as magic!
Post a Comment