Make New Friends, But Keep The Old...
We recently went on a shopping spree to Lowe's. It wasn't meant to be a shopping spree, but we're finding out that a yard doesn't look pretty all on its own. It takes a lot of work and a lot of money. But that's a whole different story.
Anyways, as we were meandering down the isles, hoping for instantaneous inspiration (and a green thumb) to pass our way, Kevin spotted a familiar face. Turning to me, he said, "Hey, that's Bill!"
"Bill Who?" I asked.
"Uh, I don't remember. But it's Bill!"
"Honey, don't embarrass us," I said to the back of his head, because afterall, he was already chasing the guy down.
"Bill! Bill!"
Well, I've got to give Kevin props, because for a guy that can barely remember the names of college buddies and girls that he dated, it sure enough was Bill. And Karie. And their darling daughter Robyn. Old friends from our days in American Fork! Who would've thunk it.
I can't tell you how good it felt to see a familiar face. A face that brings back memories. Somebody that knows you and makes you feel a little more at home. I'm not quite sure what brought us both to the Middle-of-Nowhere, but if we have to be here, I'm happy they are, too.
And on a completely different note, I was hanging out with a gal from our ward today and started to tell her about my bike mishap the other day. The conversation started like this:
Me: "So Kyle and I went on a bike ride last week..."
Her: "I know. I saw you."
And no, it wasn't an "I saw you guys riding. It looked so fun." It was an "I saw you. I saw you fall flat on your face."
Yes folks, one of the few people I know on this tiny base just so happened to be the first car in line at the crosswalk, who witnessed our catastrophe. She was just about to roll down her window and yell at us when Kyle flipped out. And she was thinking that she should get out and help me when I stumbled over both bikes. And she could clearly see that I was about to burst into tears or completely lose it, so she spared me further embarrassment by driving on. She wasn't even going to mention it, except for the fact that I brought it up. She truly is a kind soul.
But I'm still embarrassed.
3 comments:
"I know. I saw you". I'm sorry Ruth, but I can't help but laugh... at your expense. How ironic. And she wasn't going to say anything, that is truly sweet.
Seeing familiar faces in an unfamiliar place is such a great feeling. I'm so grateful to know people out in our "nowhere land". Good luck with the yard work.
I know I tell you this all the time, but Kyle really does look like you. And I love his personality. BTW, it is still a great story about the bikes.
Ruth all I can help but think about is that time we went to St. George for spring break and we were rollerblading and you tripped and fell flat on your back and how I was mean and laughed before even checking to see if you were OK! I am so mean!
Post a Comment