Thursday, October 04, 2007

Good versus...A different version of Good?

Sometimes I worry a little about what the future will bring...when Kyle's a teenager. He already has the ability to out-think and out-debate me. Frankly, I'm not sure how much longer my parenting authority will be legitimate. Take our conversation this morning, for example. We were on our way to the library when it occurred.

Kyle: Mom, can I play a computer game when we get there?

Mom
: Well, actually, I was going to ask if we could check one out. Then we can take it home and play it. But they might not let us.

Kyle
: Why not?

Mom
: Well, they might want to keep them at the library for the kids to use while they're there.

.....Long moment of Silence.....

Kyle: I can just sneak one then, because I'm good at sneaking things.

Mom
: You're going to sneak a game?!

Kyle
: Yeah.

Mom
: You can't sneak a game out of the library. That's against the rules. It's not honest. Jesus wants us to be honest.

Kyle
: But they're not sharing. Jesus wants us to share.

Mom
: Yes, but Jesus also wants us to follow the rules.

Kyle
: But they're not sharing! And that's not nice! Jesus would be sad.

It was at this point that we arrived at the library. Fortunately, the library allowed us to check a game out and my little thief wasn't forced to take matters into his own hands.

1 comment:

Cassy said...

What a smartie! How do you argue with that!