To send or not to send
I decided right then and there that I would probably hold him back a year and have him start Kindergarten when he was six. Just think of all the benefits: maturity, size, abilities. Plus, we’d never have to argue over dating and driving during the high school years. He’d always be the oldest.
I held firm to my decision in the Great Kindergarten Debate until approximately 6 months ago - until we moved here. And suddenly the decision became more complicated. After all, we live in the middle of nowhere. There’s only one preschool and it’s pretty tough to get in to. AND it costs a couple of grand per year. If I kept my guy home from school for another year, he just might go crazy.
The deadline here is in December. Meaning, he’s not going to be the youngest. I know that won’t always be case because we’ll move, but who wants their 6-year-old kindergartener going to school with 4-year-olds?
There isn’t quite the abundance of friends here that we’re used to, and all of his friends will be going to school next year. Meaning, no playdates if we decide to keep him home. And with a new little one in the house, mom’s energy and creativity just might not be up to par.
Plus, he’s ready. He knows his letters, his numbers. He can add. He’s learning to read. And he’s pretty darn tall for his age. He yearns for more friends, a more social and challenging environment.
And so it appears that my decision has been reversed. I think my little guy will be headed off to Kindergarten next year. And while I look forward to seeing him learn and thrive, and I look forward to volunteering in the school, I’ve already started having minor panic attacks.
I panic over the fact that Kevin and I will no longer have complete control. He’s going to learn naughty things from naughty kids. I panic that I can’t be there to protect him. He’s going to experience the hurt, pain, and frustration that comes with kids and school. I panic that my little guy is growing up and there’s nothing I can do about it.
I never thought I’d be this kind of mom. I thought I’d be relieved when my kids headed out the door to school and I had the day to myself. But I can guarantee you, come August 20th, I’ll be bawling my eyes out.
2 comments:
I agree 100%. Sending our kids to school is harder than I ever thought. And what if they have to ride a bus. SCARY!
Lexia's first day at school, I was the one holding back tears, the entire way to her school. Seriously, she was like, "Mom what's up?" I was so embarrassed!!! I kept tearing up...thank goodness I wasn't the only Kindergarten mom there and my friend was quick to move me onto to bigger and better things by signing up to do a million of things for the PTA (that was great when I was signing up, but not so great when it came time to do everything).
Post a Comment