Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Our family's 4-month separation last summer seems like a distant memory. Until last night, that is.
I'm headed down to a wedding in Phoenix this weekend, and I'll be leaving Kevin and Kyle at home for a "Boys Weekend." I thought Kyle would be overjoyed. So imagine my surprise when he didn't take too kindly to the news.
"But I don't want you to leave! I want us to stay home and be a family!"
I couldn't quite figure out what he was upset about - after all, he's not exactly attached to me. Never has been. He's always been a daddy's boy.
We talked for a few minutes about how I was flying on the airplane and I'd return in just a few days. That lead to discussions of how he wanted to fly on the airplane, too. Thinking I'd make his day, I told him that in just two weeks, he and I would get to fly to Virginia on the airplane. There was silence in the backseat and I figured that he was pacified.
Wrong.
All of a sudden, I hear a shrieking cry from the backseat. I look back to find my little guy bawling, with both hands covering his face.
"But I don't want to be separated!!!"
What? What do you mean? In between cries and gulps of air, he explained:
"Well, daddy's not coming with us. And I don't want to be separated. I want us to be together and be a family!"
"Remember last summer when Daddy was at training and I was so, so sad? Well, that's what I'm thinking about and I don't want to be separated!"
Oh, I get it. We comforted, held his hand, and soon he was fast asleep, all worries forgotten (it was 3 hours after bedtime, probably the main reason for the freak-out).
After I thought about it, I realized that this will be the first time we've been separated again since last summer. I also realized that it affected Kyle far more than I previously thought. Who knew.
1 comment:
The poor guy! Jaxon had melt downs every time Brian went to work for the first few days. He thought for sure he had left again for Colorado. Have fun at the wedding! How fun to get away Ü
Post a Comment