Cousins Make the Best Friends
Kyle loves his friends. Not a day goes by that he doesn't ask to call somebody on the phone or invite someone outside to play. He's simply a social kid who doesn't find satisfaction in staying home with mom and dad all day, every day.
But more than his friends, Kyle LOVES his cousins. And lucky for him, he just happens to have the best cousins in the entire world. He's never more content that when he's running around with the gaggle of kids.
And so it was that Kyle had a little taste of heaven this weekend. While mom and dad went out on a hot date, he got to spend the weekend with the cousins. Eating meals with them! Sleepover! Playing outside! Soccer games! It was almost more excitement than the little boy could bear.
I suppose we could be offended that his departing words were, "I won't miss you because I will be with my cousins!" But instead, it was a relief. A relief that he was so well taken care of. A relief that he wouldn't be sad. A relief that we could have the time of our lives and not worry one bit about our boy.
There are no words to describe the sadness we feel that we'll be moving away from Kyle's "best friends." It's such a joy to see the special relationship they have. But I grew up seeing my cousins only a few times a year, and I still felt that special bond. We'd write letters and send each other trinkets, and by the time the next visit rolled around, it was as if we'd never left. Here's hoping Kyle and his cousins will be the same way.
Because, afterall, friends come and go, but family is forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment