Choices
Well, it's official. Kevin and I have relinquished all control. The little man officially rules the roost.
In our last weekend together, and in an attempt for some family fun, the Turner family had big plans to attend a baseball game last night. We talked about it all week long, planning for it and getting Kyle excited. The problem? Well, Kyle never appeared to be very excited. We were a little confused, seeing as how Kyle's always up for a baseball game. So we ignored his apathy and continued on with our plans.
But as the hour approached, Kyle continued telling us he didn't want to go to a baseball game. Then he proceeded with these elaborate plans of having a "sleepover in the living room and having popcorn and watching a movie - a kid movie - and sleeping on the air mattress."
And that's when Kevin and I looked at each other, silently consulted, and lost all control.
"Kyle, would you rather go to the baseball game or have a sleepover?" I asked.
"Sleepover!!!" he shouted.
GULP.
"Even though a baseball game would be more fun?" I asked, weakly.
"Yeah, sleepover!" he shouted again.
Every parenting book I've read has taught the same things. Lesson #1: Give your child choices. But none of them covered what to do when my child chooses the lesser option. Oh wait - yes, they did. Lesson #2: Only give your child choices that you like.
Looks like I failed.
And so it was that the Turners had a family sleepover in the living room last night. And you know what? It was every bit as much fun as a baseball game.
No comments:
Post a Comment