Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Fashion

I was recently talking to my sister-in-law about her 4-year-old daughter. Apparently, this darling little girl has become obsessed with "fashion." With temperatures in the 50's, my sister-in-law attempted to put a pair of pants on her daughter, to which the little girl replied, "But mom, that's not fashion!" She also insisted upon delicate little silver sandals because they were "fashion."

"What's fashion?" my sister-in-law replied. "We don't do fashion at this house!" And mind you, this is a household with four girls and one lone boy. Yet, her 4-year-old is the first to obsess about style, mystifying her mother.

I had to laugh when I thought of my little boy, who is SO not into fashion. Like his daddy, he cares about nothing more than comfort. And perhaps his Utah State Aggies shorts. But I had to laugh the other day when he insisted upon leaving the house, dress like this:


Look closely. Yes, that's ONE church sock on that little foot, and none on the other. And the rest of the outfit wasn't any more pleasant. It was every shade of blue you could imagine, with none of them matching.

Due to my controlling tendencies, my son is rarely allowed to leave the house dressed like this. But, because it was for a Sunday afternoon stroll with an almost zero percent chance of encountering anybody we knew, I let it slide. And I'm glad I did. It's fun to see how those little brains work and what they think constitutes "fashion."

No comments: