Saturday, April 14, 2007

Daddy's boy

It's the same routine every morning: Kyle awakes and comes into our room. He walks to my side of the bed, notices that it's me, and turns around to walk to Kevin's side of the bed. He then proceeds to climb in and we cuddle for a few moments until we all get up.

It's one of my favorite parts of the day, but I sometime wonder whether I should be offended at Kyle's obvious preference of Kevin over me. I've come to the conclusion that I shouldn't be. Sure, I spend almost 24 hours a day taking care of and playing with him. But I know he loves me. And let's face it, he's got a great dad. Not all kids have the luxury of a wonderful, hands-on dad who loves to spend time with his boy. It's a bond that I hope will last a lifetime.

However, this special bond is what has me dreading the 15 weeks of summer that our family will be separated. Sure, it will be difficult to be a single mom. And sure, Kevin's going to be lonely in Alabama all by himself. But Kyle has no idea what's coming to him. And there are no words to describe how much he's going to miss his daddy.

Here's hoping my boys' special bond can survive those 15 weeks.

No comments: