Happy Birthday, Grandpa!
Today we'd like to pay tribute to "Soldier Grandpa," as Kyle oftentimes likes to call him. 49 years ago today he was born in Roswell, New Mexico (UFO and alien sightings at that exact time and place a coincidence? I think not). And we just happen to think he's the world greatest dad. Sure, we like to tease him about all of his shortcomings, but in all reality, I couldn't have asked for a better dad.
I have memories of daddy-daughter dates to basketball games followed by a McDonalds sundae, driving lessons (who else but a dad could endure those?), and a trip through the Wendy's drive-through for 42 junior bacon cheeseburgers the night before my wedding. He treats Kevin like a king whenever we visit, and humors my 3-year-old by playing Playstation NCAA football for hours.
But most of all, he's been an example of all that I would hope to be. He's an example of kindness, compassion, and service. He's softhearted and quick with an apology. But most of all, he never fails to tell us how much he loves us, which means the world to a child, no matter how old you are.
So grandpa, even though you're far away in "A-raq," we're thinking about you and want you to know that we love you. Here's to you, Soldier Grandpa!
No comments:
Post a Comment