James and the Giant Peach
Kyle and I started our first chapter book today. Kyle absolutely loves to read and frankly, I'm getting a little tired of reading the same old books over and over again. I remember my mom reading chapters of "Heidi" to me before bed every night when I was little and not being able to fall asleep in anticipation of what we'd read the next night. I'm sure I was a little older than Kyle, but I figured we'd give it a try.
And so, "James and the Giant Peach" became our experiment. I chose it for a couple of reasons: 1) I'd never actually read it before, and 2) It has a picture every 6-8 pages in case of boredom.
Well, I don't think I have to worry about that. We started this afternoon and made it to Chapter 11 before Kyle would let me take a break. He's hooked. It has eloquent language and big words my little guy doesn't know, but that doesn't bother him. And just when I notice him staring at the ceiling and think he's losing interest, he asks some profound question that proves me wrong.
I think this could become a habit.
2 comments:
Fun idea! I read it to my 2nd graders years ago. I do remember a few parts where I had a small "coughing fit" as I searched for an appropriate place to keep reading. I don't remember what was objectionable, but I do remember being shocked to find it in a children's book.
Hey, could I hire you to come and read to my children? Do you think that would be possible? I barely have the patience to read a picture book with few words, let alone a book with lots of words. Kudos to you. (Seriously though, want to fly out and read to my deprived kids? Lex would eat it up.)
Post a Comment