Wednesday, November 28, 2007

O' Christmas Tree

Continuing with Turner family tradition, we decorated our tree on Monday night for Family Home Evening. Bing Crosby played in the background and we sipped delicious eggnog (not the low-fat kind) for refreshment.

Every year while I was growing up, I got a new ornament - sometimes two. One from mom & dad, and one from Grandma. As a result, when we got married, we already had a box full of ornaments to decorate our tree.

But because of this, our tree has no theme. You know how some people have those beautiful trees with a theme? You know, matching bows, matching ornaments, and only certain colors allowed? Well, that's not our tree. Instead, it's colorful collection of childhood memories.
It's awesome.


The routine went something like this: Kyle unwrapped every single ornament and placed it front and center on the tree. When he wasn't looking, mom discretely moved them to a better location.



He examined each and every one (they have a name and date on the bottoms). If the ornament wasn't his, he would ask, "But can I have it? PLEASE?"



And there she is, in all her beauty. No theme, no matching color scheme. Just bright and happy and slightly mis-matched. Just the way we like it. I think she's pretty.



I think Kyle does, too.

4 comments:

Cassy said...

Kyle is look so grown up!

Anonymous said...

Our Christmas tree is mismatched too. Each ornament tells a story or reminds us of the person who gave it to us. Glad to hear yours is too. And, what a BEAUTIFUL tree yours is. Glad you took a picture.

Sarajane said...

Ours is a mismatched tree too. Each ornament tells a story or reminds us of the person who gave it. Glad yours is too. And, what a beautiful tree it is. Thanks for taking a picture.

Sarajane said...

sorry, you have two comments from me; i thought the first one didn't go through:)