Generations
Kyle spent a lot of quality time with my dad this summer. While the gals were out shopping or playing, the boys would go on hikes, go to McDonalds, and go get ice cream. Kyle couldn't have asked for anything more and my dad was a good sport.
It was during one such outing that my dad taught Kyle a new song. I'd forgotten all about it until the other night. In an effort to postpone bedtime, Kyle sang it for us over and over and even offered to teach Kevin the lyrics. It goes something like this:
"I went to the animal fair.
The birds and the beasts were there.
The big baboon, by the light of the moon,
Was combing his auburn hair."
"The monkey, he got drunk.
And sat on the elephant's trunk.
The elephant sneezed and fell to his knees,
And what became of the monk, the monk, the monk?"
I know there are several different versions of this song, but this was the one my dad taught Kyle. And apparently it's the same one that my great-granddaddy Hanks taught my dad years ago. My dad was extremely close to his grandfather and I'm grateful that my son has the same close relationship with his.
I had no idea there was tradition involved with this song, but I'm glad my dad is passing it on.
1 comment:
Kyle is a riot wanting to teach Kevin the lyrics. Hope Kevin took him up on that, especially right when he was trying to fall asleep...
Post a Comment