Large and in charge
I had a flashback today. A flashback to junior high. Those are never good.
~~~
...It was the beginning of soccer season and uniforms were being handed out. I cannot recall my teammates' names or faces, but I remember the uniform. A lovely shade of turquoise blue with white trim. It should've been lovely, but it wasn't on me because my jersey hung down to my knees.For anybody that hasn't played city soccer, you should know that you don't get to request your size. Every team receives a certain number of smalls, mediums, and larges. And because I was the second tallest girl on the team at 5'5", I received a large. A men's large.
On the drive home, I complained about the size of my uniform. My mom feigned sympathy, but what came out of my dad's mouth is forever burned in my memory:
"Well, they gave you a bigger uniform because you're one of the larger girls on the team."
I probably went home and cried because my dad called me fat. And it took a lot of explanation for my dad to finally understand that just because a girl is tall, it doesn't mean she's LARGE. But I think it's safe to say it hasn't scarred me for life.
~~~
Well, it appears that my son has inherited my genes. As he tried on his first soccer uniform today, I noticed he had received a larger size on behalf of his height and had to wonder, "Is he destined to always be one of the tallest kids on the team?"If so, we'll tell him to cinch up those gigantic shorts and play on!
No comments:
Post a Comment