Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thpeech Thewapy

My son has a phony lisp. And it's never been diagnosed or treated because it didn't exist until this week.

For years, he's spoken (I mean, thpoken) perfect English, and now all I'm hearing is this:

"Marie, do you want to go thwing on the thwing thet"
Translation: "Marie, do you want to go swing on the swing set?"

"Mom, I need to thow you thomething."
Translation: "Mom, I need to show you something."

One of his little buddies has an actual lisp. Another has an issue with his "R's". Apparently, Kyle was feeling less than cool because of his lack of speech issues, so he decided to manufacture his own.

We all faked poor eyesight in the name of cool glasses. And I remember creating a "retainer" out of a paper clip. And don't try to tell me you weren't green with envy when your best friend broke her leg and got to walk around with awesome crutches. If there was a way to fake a broken leg, we all would've done it.

But speech impediments?

Theriouthly???

I've tried telling him that his friends don't do it on purpose. I've tried correcting him everytime he says something incorrectly. Finally, I told him that if he continues , it will become a permanent problem, and he'll have to go to special classes to help him.

I hope he didn't think "special" was a good thing.

But for now, we wait. And hope it's a QUICKLY passing phase.

Thilly boy.

2 comments:

The Gardners said...

That's hillarious! Aspen was talking like that the other day. Zoe really does have a lisp, and although I know it's not going to be so cute when she's older it's absolutely adorable right now and everyone gives her a lot of attention for it. So I think Aspen was feeling a little left out. She is back to normal now though, so give him a few days.

Marissa said...

You crack me up Ruth!