Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Miracle Worker

The night before I had Marie, we were out running errands and decided to stop at Chili's for dinner (I believe it was the dinner of chips & salsa, and molten lava cake - no entree - that put me into labor. But that's beside the point).

As is usually the case, Kyle begged for a kids meal, and with it came one of those fabulous mini-packs of crayons designed to keep kids (and their parents) from going crazy waiting for their food.

Well, in the craziness that the rest of that evening brought, those crayons were left in the car. Not in the package. In the 110 degree summer heat. You get the idea.

A couple of days later, when we were all finally home and I had stored up enough energy to unpack the car, I had a big pile of melted, red wax on the carpet to greet me. And a few spots on the seat. It actually made me a little sick, and I had no idea what to do. So, I did what I do best - I ignored it and hoped it would go away.

Fast forward a few more months - three to be exact. The spots were surprisingly (???) still there and I decided I'd better do something about it. I surfed the internet to see what my options were:

1. Freeze it with an ice cube and chip it off with a dull knife. Hardly made a dent.

2. Place a brown paper bag over it and iron it off. I knew that iron would turn my synthetic carpet into an bigger pile of melted plastic.

And then I came upon this beautiful, wonderful, strange tip: WD-40.

And I thought to myself, "This couldn't possibly work."

Well, I was wrong. It worked like a charm. It practically melted off the carpet. And the seat. Not a trace left. It's a miracle worker, and I think I'm in love. In fact, I think WD-40 just may be my new best friend.

I can't wait to see what other tricks it has up its sleeve.

8 comments:

Natalie said...

Where would we be without WD-40? I have a friend that gives (gave) WD-40 and duct tape as wedding gifts. They are the fix-alls! Glad it worked!!

abbeybutton said...

Good to know.... will you remind me of that trick if I ever have kids some day?

Jackson 3 said...

That is Awesome!!! good to know. Let me know if you find out any other helpful uses for the stuff!

Suzanne said...

Your story reminds me of how, after trying everything we could think of, it was finally engine de-greaser that got a stain out of my wedding dress just days before my wedding. Of course, getting the smell of the engine de-greaser out of the wedding dress was a whole different story.... :)

Polka Dot Cottage said...

I stole this post for my www.polkadotcottage.blogspot.com blog. I too have melted crayons on my car seat un the kids carseat that has been there for over a year. I'm definetly gonna try. How are you going?

Kathy said...

We ate at Chili's the night before I had both my kids! They should start advertising!

Matt and Jessica said...

During my brief stint as a financial analyst I did a fair amount of research on the WD-40 company. The stuff is amazing! It comes in a pen version too!

Unknown said...

It also works to remove that sticky residue that stickers leave behind. Who would have thought melted crayon, though?!?