Saturday, August 01, 2009

A Day on the Town

In preparation for the first day of school, Kyle and I went on a little date. The purpose of the trip was school shopping, but I tried to camouflage it as something entirely more fun. Because shopping definitely wouldn't land on my son's "Top 10 Fun Things To Do" list.

First stop: LUNCH. I told him he could pick whatever he wanted, thinking that it would probably be something like McDonalds. I'm a charitable mom, right? Well, his response wasn't exactly what I expected.

First choice? Red Lobster. Uh, try again.
Second choice? Famous Dave's. Seriously?
Third choice? Olive Garden.

At least he has good taste, even if he is a little spoiled.



Next stop was Old Navy, where he got to pick out his very own outfit - mom wasn't allowed to veto. He very dutifully looked at the tags of every pair of shorts, but there were no size 7's to be found. Bummer.



But at least he found this awesome Star Wars t-shirt. This coming from the kid who told me he "just wasn't into Star Wars anymore" less than a month ago. I knew it was a brief phase.



Next, it was on to Target for some serious school supplies. I'll just say that California's budget crisis is definitely affecting the schools. But I'm kind of a school supply junkie, so it actually wasn't too painful.

After he picked out his Star Wars lunchbox (are we sensing a theme here?) we took a brief pit-stop in the toys section, where he tried to convince me that the new school year warranted a new toy. Unfortunately, he didn't convince me. But I did remind him for the 2,199 time that his birthday was coming up soon.



We searched again for shorts, and this time we found them. But not the beloved plaid ones he wanted. They were all so hideous that even HE didn't want them. So we settled for denim instead.



I knew our trip had come to an end when he started climbing on the clothing racks and running circles around the cart. So we called our date a success and finished it off with a delicious McDonalds sundae. It was a great afternoon - I think we've found a new tradition.

2 comments:

Cassy said...

What a fun tradition! I have mostly gone to online shopping, since shopping with four kids is nearly impossible.

Brinton, Becky, and Gang said...

Looks like fun! Fiel and I are planning a Olive Garden/shopping trip soon too. The Breadstick store (Olive Garden) is Fiel's favorite too.