Thursday, April 16, 2009

Shark Teeth


It seems as though Kyle has inherited his mother's inability to properly lose teeth. If you'll look closely, you'll see two rows of teeth. Yes, two rows of teeth.

If I recall correctly, it seems as though I had to have all four of my bottom front baby teeth pulled because they just wouldn't fall out. And by the time I was 18, I still hadn't lost a side baby tooth on top - the left canine, to be exact - and had to have it pulled, the permanent tooth drilled out of the bone it was stuck in, and pulled down into place. It wasn't pretty. Or pain-free.

I called the dentist about this "too-many-teeth" issue, and she seemed to think it could wait until his next cleaning on June 1st. I hope she's right. His top teeth aren't looking so great either. He has this strange gap that seems to be getting bigger everyday. Really. I think another permanent tooth is shoving its way in, but those baby teeth are hanging on for dear life.

I'm really hoping that we'll have a miraculous falling-out of baby teeth in the next month. I wouldn't wish the pain of pulling teeth on any innocent 5-year-old. But I'm also worried for my pocketbook. It seems as though I got paid $10 from the toothfairy for my pulled teeth - you know, for all of the extra pain and suffering. If you add 20 years of inflation to that...well, it's not going to be pretty.

After all, I'm quite certain I'm going to need that extra cash to pay for years of orthodontic treatment in the not-to-distant future.

6 comments:

Karie said...

Yikes! Poor Kyle.

lance n sarah said...

this totally bring back memories for me. Part of my girls camp name has sharky in it because before I had braces my adult teeth all looked like this. I had too many teeth for my small mouth. At least he has baby ones in there to lose and make room. I had to have 4 big teeth plus all 4 wisdom teeth pulled.
How are you guys doing?

Suzanne said...

Yikes! We've already been warned by Adriana's dentist that she will probably need braces by the time she's eight because her mouth is so small. I'm not looking forward to those bills....

Kathy said...

I was exactly the same way! I think I lost 3 of my teeth without having them pulled. Poor kid, hope it all goes well!

Brandi said...

Okay. That is hilarious (well, not really). Daisy has the same thing in the same spot.
Every night Jon says "Hey Shark, get in the bathroom and brush your teeth!" He then proceeds to tell Ellie to brush her chic-lets. Gotta love Jon.

Marissa said...

WOW! That is the craziest picture. That's too bad. Hopefully a little novacaine later, he'll make it through a few pullings. You should try some of that Baby Orajel to numb before the tug. HA!