Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Delightful Donuts

Kyle walked into my bedroom this morning, singing, "We thank thee, Oh God, for our donuts.."

Slightly inappropriate? Yes. Funny? Absolutely.

Donuts are the answer to all problems in Kyle's book. When allowed to pick a treat at the grocery store, it's a donut. When it's his turn to pick the FHE treat, it's donuts all around! We even potty trained with donuts. Yes, the obsession began that early.

And I hate to admit this, but the obsession is all my fault.

You see, when we lived in American Fork, we lived around the corner from a cute little bakery. I'm all for supporting local businesses, and I'm definitely all for donuts, so we started walking over there every Saturday morning (or almost every Saturday) for a little family breakfast. Everyone picked their favorite, and Kyle always chose glazed. Nothing fancy for him. It was a fun family tradition and we all loved it.

Then we moved to Salt Lake and there was no bakery around the corner. Oh, we still had grocery store bakeries, but it wasn't the same. Family Donut Day kind of fell by the wayside, but Kyle's love of donuts didn't. He still saw to it that we picked up donuts as often as possible. And they were still glazed.

Well, I'm afraid things have gone from bad to worse. We no longer even have a grocery store with a bakery. We are now forced to buy pre-packaged glazed donuts. It's an atrocity!

But Kyle doesn't mind. Apparently he hasn't yet learned the lesson of quality. He only cares that he gets his donuts. And I think I like them as much as he does. Not because of their pre-packaged taste, but because of the gigantic smile they put on his face.

4 comments:

Amy and Micheal said...

Was that place Flour Girls & Dough Boys? I was in there the other day and they had some good looking stuff. Any recommendations? And who doesn't love a fresh donut?

Shelby said...

Kyle is a boy with good taste, bakery or not!
His son is pretty catchy too! :)

The Gardners said...

We do the donut thing at our house to. The kids call it Daddy Donut Day. Anyway, I would love to stay in touch. It is fun to keep up on you and Kevin and your cute kids. If you have a second email me and I'll send you an invite to our blog. My email is aliciagardner22@gmail.com

christy said...

haha i love this story- eli always looks at me weird when i have to pull myself aways from the donuts at the grocery stores- i love um! he doesn't understand- i dont believe the country store in mantua had donuts