Sunday, August 17, 2008

Panic

Tonight, as I carried my sleeping son to his bed, I had a minor panic attack.

I panicked because tomorrow he starts school. Seriously. My child will be in kindergarten.

I didn't think about it much as we shopped for his awesome new Batman backpack. Or his new clothes. I started to think about it when we went to orientation last week. And I thought about it a little more as we completed his first homework assignment (Yes, before school's even started).

But it didn't really hit home until I carried him into his room and saw those new clothes carefully laid out on the chair, next to that backpack and homework assignment. And as I laid him in his bed, I had to tell myself that it would be alright.

It will be alright because he's going to love it. He's going to make new friends. He's going to learn new things. He's going to be busy, and occupied, and not stuck with boring ole' mom everyday.

And I think I just might love it, too. Some time with just my girl. And counting on the fact that Marie will nap, possibly some time just for me. What a concept.

Yes, I think we're going to be just fine. But at the same time, I can't help feeling just a little bit sad. Because, after all, it's the end of an era.

PS: I realize that I'm an absolutely pathetic blogger lately. But I think I'm ready to remedy the situation and begin to play catch-up. Hopefully there's more to come...

5 comments:

Jeni said...

I am feeling the same panic lately. We don't even know what school vivi is going to yet because we're trying to hold out for the "good" one so she could be starting next week or in two weeks - either way I want to keep her here with me!

Lorena said...

Yeah, like a picture of Kyle's first day of school! Miss you guys!

Cassy said...

It hard to send your first born into the "real" world of kindergarten. What a huge step! Coy is so excited, I am the nervous one...Will he be a bully? Will he be picked on? Will he know where to go when he gets off the bus? Will he make it back on the bus?.....

BALL said...

Ruth,
You are brave, I held Logan back from kindergarten for one more year. Do you remember discussing this decision when they were babies taking laps around the cemetary? We are going to be a three ring circus in about a month. I forgot what its like taking care of a newborn. Any advice?
Amie

Clemstock said...

Okay, don't laugh because I already did this last year (cried then too I have to admit though it bugs me that I couldn't keep it together...), but when I think of sending Lexia back to school on Monday, I get teary eyed. I thought I was a weirdo than talked to one of my friends and she said that every fall, she gets a little sad when she sends her kids to school. It normalizes it, but does not make it any easier. It's a little piece of my heart walking out that door into the great unknown....(dorky I know, can't help it though). Sooo, long comment short, I can feel your pain just a little bit...