Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Small accomplishments

Anyone who knows me would likely say that nursery is the last place I would like to be every Sunday. And anyone who's known me for the last 6 months while I've had the calling of nursery leader would likely tell you that it's been a struggle. A struggle to find fulfillment in "babysitting" for other people as they're uplifted and edified each and every week.

Don't get me wrong - I love the little buggers. I really do. And there's nothing like a big goodbye hug from a two-year-old to tell you that someone thinks you're pretty fantastic. But it can be hard, to say the least.

But this week I had the ultimate victory. Something better than hugs and kisses or perfectly behaved children. My darling little pupil who has refused to stay in nursery without her daddy for the last year stayed. Because of me. Because she wanted to be brave and be my special helper. Because she thought I was fun. Heck, she even wanted to take me home with her afterwards!

I call that a sweet victory. A victory made even sweeter when I received gushing "thank-you's" from her parents afterwards. Perhaps I am doing somebody a little bit of good.

No comments: