Friday, December 22, 2006

California, here we come!

We waited for months, but the long awaited phone call has arrived. The call that determines our future. The call that tells us where we'll be living for the next 3 years. The call that has made us nauseous with nervousness and anticipation.

Strangely enough, after eons of waiting, the call came during the 4 hours we were on an airplane, hitching a ride to the east coast. The only 4 hours we've been unavailable in the last 2 months. I could barely breathe as my shaking finger dialed my voice mail. And then the voice:

"Edwards Air Force Base, here we come!"

Initial reaction: disappointment. Afterall, we were hoping for Virginia, near family.

Next reaction: Excitement. Afterall, CALIFORNIA! Disneyland, SeaWorld, the beach!!!

And finally, a mixture of both. Because, although it's California, it's also in the desert, in the middle of nowhere. What am I to do without my beloved Target, Old Navy, Famous Footwear? Drive an hour to the nearest city, I suppose.

One thing's for sure, it'll be an adventure. A 3-year-long adventure that we can't wait to get started on.

No comments: