Friday, June 08, 2012

Unconditional

During daylight hours, this girl does not like her daddy. Oh sure, she humors him and sometimes allows him to spend time with her. But given the choice, it's mommy everytime. Mom reads stories and wipes bums, mom fixes snacks and buckles the seatbelt. She and I have sat together on our side of the table for dinner for the last 180 days - give or take. Only mom is allowed to wash her hair in the bathtub. It's all mom, all the time. And poor daddy's ego takes a bruising.

But during the night, it's all about dad. It's daddy that gets the call to the potty at 3 a.m.  And it's daddy's side of the bed that seems most comfortable. His head must be especially enticing, because that's usually where she ends up. 

I think I got the lucky end of this stick - I'll take daytime over nighttime duty any day of the week. I also think my husband is a saint. Because no matter how much she neglects or abuses him, he accepts it. Gives what he has when she's ready to take it. Someday she'll realize how lucky she is.

2 comments:

Kristen Marina said...

I LOVE that picture. So precious. PS you can thank me whenever you'd like. Prettyyy sure I was just prepping him for having little girls. "Kevin tripped me roller blading", actually what happened was I tripped and he cleaned up my bleeding knee with his white t-shirt. :) Love you and your family!!!

Kristen Marina said...

I LOVE that picture. So precious. PS: You can thank me whenever you'd like, because i'm pretty sure when you two first got married I was just prepping him to have little girls. "Kevin tripped me rollerblading", what actually happened was I tripped and he got down and cleaned up my bleeding knee with his white t-shirt. :) Love you guys!!!