Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Moment in Time

If only I could freeze time. I'd keep her just this size and in just this stage. She sits by herself, is easily entertained, but unable to get into trouble. She smiles on command, babbles on endlessly, and loves everyone.

And then I tell myself that the next stage is just as fun. She'll soon be delighted by the new tricks she's performing. She'll discover food and will be entertained and distracted by snacks. Her personality will emerge and I'll get to know this little person even better. Every stage is oh, so fun.

But I can't help but feel a little sadness as I notice how much room she takes up in her crib now. How her 6-month clothes are fitting perfectly, which means soon they'll be too small. I breathe in her smell and bury my face in the rolls of her neck because I know that all too soon, I'll forget. And I don't want to.

How do we love the past, the present, and the future all at once?

4 comments:

BALL said...

This one makes me teary, I know what you mean!

Jeni said...

Take TONS of pictures and video clips. We regularly go through our stock pile of video clips of the kids and are constantly reminded of how fast they are growing.

Jackson 3 said...

What a sweet post!! I know exactly how you feel oh too well! I'm so sad but so excited everytime I look at my boy.
How is Marie getting so big so fast!! she just looks so much older all of a sudden! (not to make you anymore "homesick") She's a doll!

p.s. I need your address! email me! gjackson724@yahoo.com

The Gardners said...

Seriously... I think I could freeze things right now and be happy. I have a baby to cuddle and kiss, a naughty two year old to tackle and chase, and older kids to read and sing to me at night and tell me jokes. Life is good!!