Double Meaning
Kyle's learning to read and has been doing pretty well. But occasionally we encounter an obstacle. For instance, here's our lesson from a few weeks ago:
Ruth: "Okay, let's sound out these words."
Kyle: "Dog...cat...little...sleep...but - Hey Mom! Butt's a bad word!"
And so we interrupted our lesson for a 5-minute discussion on but vs. butt. Try explaining that to someone who doesn't really know how to spell. But I thought he'd figured it out.
Until today. Fast forward to this morning:
Kyle: "Hey mommy, you silly head! You're a silly goose. You're a butthead!"
Ruth: "Kyle! That's not a nice word!"
Kyle: "But mom, I said 'but.' Like, I'm going to the store but I don't want to. See? It's the nice 'but'."
Ruth: "Well, when you put it with the word 'head,' it's not a nice word. Okay?"
Apparently we still have some work to do.
3 comments:
Reading and the english language are tricky business! Good job Kyle, keep up the good work.
Cute! I love your blog (especially the pregnancy pics.) Keep them coming. By the way, where in California do you live? I go to Santa Maria about twice a year for business. I know California is a big state but are you anywhere close by?
Ha ha ha ha Ruth you got called a "but" head by your kid. That is soooo funny! Hey, did you get that package from me? I was cleaning through my stuff and came across all these letters I had saved from you. I thought you would laugh, I sure did reading them all.
Post a Comment