Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Calling all Traditions!!!

This is our first year celebrating Christmas by ourselves. But don't start feeling sorry for us - we're excited! After all, we're just spending the morning by ourselves, then heading out of town to visit family. It's the best of both worlds!

However, because we've never done this, I realized that we don't have our own traditions. Kevin and I were raised in fairly similar families, as far as traditions go, so I'm sure some of them will come naturally: PJ's on Christmas Eve. Reading about Christ's birth from the bible. A yummy dinner and treats. But what do we do on Christmas morning?

That's why I'm calling on you, my fine friends. I want to hear about any traditions you have! Do you do anything different or fun? Do you take turns opening gifts or make a mad dash for your own pile? What do you eat for breakfast? I want to hear it all. Help the Turners establish some new traditions!

5 comments:

Lorena said...

We get dressed in really nice clothes (not Sunday clothes), fix our hair/makeup, everything -- so that we're picture-ready. After the gifts, we always eat pork of some sort ... either a ham, bacon or sausage for the main dish.

Good luck! Sounds like fun!

Natasha said...

Hey Ruth
We always line up in the hall and then run out to see what Santa brought. After we have looked at the Santa gifts. We open presents one at a time in a circle. We take a break sometime and eat breakfast. We have french toast and hot chocolate. My Mom has a really good recipe for a sauce to put on the french toast.

Natalie said...

Ah, Christmas morning. Santa would use codes on our presents so we didn't know which presents belonged to who. After my mom revealed the code we would take turns opening presents. One thing that was always in our stocking was our own box of cereal and an orange (among other stuff. After opening presents we would eat our cereal and orange. Then we would make our mad dash to get ready to go to Grandma's.
One thing we've started doing with Jaxon is leaving one small present hidden under the tree in the living room. It's a bell from Santa's sleigh...like in The Polar Express.
I think you're gonna love Christmas with your little family. It's the best!!!

Cassy said...

Christmas Eve: Dinner, New PJ's, Drive around looking at lights (a ploy to get us...our kids now tired, and Bed!

Christmas Morning: Always sticky buns for breakfast! We take turns opening presents. A tradition from Bray's family...a big platter of candy on the table (I think we will try that one this year).

Cindy said...

We all get our very own box of cereal on Christmas morning. We each open our cereal, then go eat breakfast (the best part....no major dishes!).

We take turn opening presents, going oldest to youngest (being the youngest, I was a little bitter that I was always LAST).

Now, we have to compromise a little. Jaron's family always did a HUGE breakfast, and we didn't. So, now we all still get cereal, but we do a big breakfast, too.