Utah Randomness
We spent two weeks in Utah and loved every minute of it. I definitely don't have pictures of everything, but I thought I'd include the stuff I did manage to capture.
City Creek:
After years of construction, the mall in downtown Salt Lake finally opened a few months ago. This was our first visit, and it didn't disappoint. Great stores, great atmosphere, and a nod to historic Salt Lake City. The whole project is very well done, and we spent a fun afternoon perusing.
The kids loved the fountains and the creek running down the middle. It was in the 90s that day, so they didn't mind getting a tiny bit wet.
We tried a new restaurant/cafe called the Blue Lemon. I thought it was delicious, but the kids weren't big fans. Their macaroni and cheese, and fettucine alfredo went uneaten. What a waste. Kyle still refers to it as "the worst restaurant for kids."
Grandma Turner is quite the shopper. Even I don't have her stamina. So we had to find ways to entertain ourselves while she was narrowing down her purchases!
Camping & Fishing:
Kyle practicing his casting on the front lawn, in preparation for his camping trip.
Kevin's family has a long-standing tradition of a summer camping/fishing trip in the Uintahs. I believe it started as an all-boys trip, but slowly the newlywed wives joined in. And as grandkids joined the family, they were ALL invited. And now it's pretty much a free-for-all. We had some great trips the first few years we were married - once taking my pre-teen sister along, and once we even tied a canoe to the top of our little Nissan Sentra. It was literally longer than our car!
This year, the trip happened to coincide with our trip to Utah - kind of. Kevin had to return to Pennsylvania the day before. I think he was a little bummed. But luckily, Grandpa offered to take Kyle along for the trip, and I think they had a great time. There are rumors of heat exhaustion, and I'm pretty sure he wore the same clothes all three days. But I wasn't there, and I have no pictures to prove it, so we're just going with the story that everything was hunky dorey!
Swimming & 7-11:
We spent a super fun afternoon swimming with our cousins at the good, old Brigham City Pool.
These guys are the best of buds. Kyle's so lucky to have a handful of cousin his exact same age.
Marie literally spent hours going down this slide. The water was fairly deep, so I had to catch her at first, but with the help of Hannah and AnaLyn, she braved up. I can't believe I didn't manage to catch a picture of Hannah because she was RIGHT there the entire time.
And finally, because it was July 11th (get it?), we had to make a stop by 7-11 for our free 7.11 ounce Slurpee. We lucked out with no line, but there was quite a line when we left, after all 14 of us had tasted each and every flavor and made our selection! Oops. A Slurpee's never tasted so good.
Dinner with cousins:
My aunt and cousin, to be exact. I just love these two, and I don't get to see them often enough. So my aunt Kelly and I drove down to Orem and met up with my cousin Nancy and my sister Kristen. We got some take-out, and sat in Nancy's beautiful backyard and visited. It was so fun, and I just love them so much. Always have, always will.
Nancy just bought her dream car, a little 1959 lime green VW Bug. She's a lime green fanatic and this car is just so HER, and so cute. We had to snap a picture next to it. We thought about putting Marie on the luggage rack, but thought it might fall apart. It's a work in progress!
Weekend in Logan:
This girl. LOVE her. Sarah and I met when I was 15 (she thought my name was Rita) and we've been best friends ever since. We obsessed about boys, roomed together in college, had our first babies together. We live thousands of miles apart, and years can pass without seeing each other. But I know I can always pick up the phone, and we pick up right where we left off. She's anti-drama, level-headed and wise, and always up for a good time. She's my favorite.
We try to meet up for a girls weekend every other year or so. And this year we headed back to our Alma Mater: Utah State. It was a blast.
After a full day of partying (shopping and eating), we headed back to our hotel room to relax. And what did we both walk out in? These random, funky, heart print pajama bottoms that we bought at Target during a girls weekend four years ago. Seriously? What are the odds? So funny.
We did a whole lot of shopping and a whole lot of eating. We had pedicures and did some scary-movie watching (with junk food, of course). And then we grabbed some Aggie Ice Cream and walked around campus, reminiscing and taking note of all the changes.
At one point, it started pouring rain and we ran for cover in the student building. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be locked up for the weekend, but we found a loose door and snuck inside. We made ourselves at home, wandered the halls, and took a ridiculous amount of jumping pictures. The rain continued all afternoon, so everytime it would let up a little bit, we'd make a run for the next building on campus. Some hilarious conversations took place in those buildings, and I'll never forget it. So fun.
Bryce & Kristen time:
After our little cousins dinner, I made a last-minute decision to leave Marie with my sister for the next two days. With nothing but a pair of pajamas (luckily, I'd brought those along, thinking that she'd fall asleep in the car on the way home...). So off my sister drove with my daughter, who had nothing but the clothes on her back. And I might have had a slight panic attack, with all four members of my little family separated in different parts of the country. But I didn't worry for a second about Marie's happiness because I knew she'd have the time of her life. Because Bryce and Kristen are pretty much IT.
They had a little sleepover in the living room, where it was reported that Marie ended up on top of my sister, and Bryce left for the comfort of his own bed. Welcome to kids, guys!
They went shopping for a change of clothes and some new undies, where it was reported that Marie was an excellent shopping buddy.
They took her to Color Me Mine, or whatever that place is called. You know, the really fun pottery place that her parents won't pay for!
When I got back from Logan, and Kyle returned from camping, and drove down and met them all for dinner at the Red Iguana. Talk about delicious food. The hour-long wait was well worth it.
And then we spent the rest of the weekend with them in Provo, where they entertained us (who else would own a Mario suit???) and spoiled us rotten. We sure love you guys!
Mantua:
We headed up to Mantua to spend some time with my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Man, I love this place. It's gorgeous, filled with everyone I love, and brings back such wonderful memories. It had rained that day, and the smell was heavenly. Brought me back to my childhood...
Speaking of which, this little country store is a landmark of my childhood. Every trip to Mantua was marked by many visits to the country store, home of the PENNY CANDY. My grandparents actually built the campground and store, and my mom was raised working there. But when I was fairly young, they sold it to another lady in town. However, I'm pretty sure that all of us grandchildren were its most frequent customers!
So of course the kids and I had to stop by the store and pick up some penny candies (which are actually 2 cents each now...bummer). The long-time owner recently passed away, but her daughter recognized me! Even after all these years. And that's what I love about small towns.
We had a family dinner, and Kyle was lucky enough to catch a ride with grandma on the golf cart. The visit was much too short. There's never enough time...
The day before we left, we gathered everyone together one last time for some fun. We hit up Toad's (a mini-golf, laser tag, arcade-type place), which seems to be a tradition for us.
We were pretty much the only people on the course, so the kids ran hogwild. There was no order or rules involved - it was every man for himself.
Well, I think these guys were a little more civilized...
And then we headed back to Sherstine's house for some Chinese food, conversation, and a kids' fashion show (which seems to be another tradition that is forming).
Sadly, I don't have any pictures. I took some killer video, so maybe I'll post that later. Needless to say, there was quite a show involved. Kevin and I are always amazed to see the side of Kyle that emerges during these shows.
And so our trip came to an end. That evening was filled with sad, hysterical sobbing as our kids realized they'd be leaving. It's the worst part of every trip, and makes Kevin and I wonder what we're doing clear across the country. Luckily, the trip home was so horrific that it made HAPPY to be home. But I'll leave that for a post all it's own!
No comments:
Post a Comment