Monday, April 02, 2012

Grandparents Day 2012


There were a few years of elementary school that we lived within a few hours of my Grandpa & Grandma Johnson, and I remember them coming to Grandparents Day every year. I'm sure it was tedious for them, but it was a pretty exciting day in my book. In fact, one year I made a homemade bumper sticker for them that said, "Grandparents - the older they get, the better they are!" It hangs on their fridge to this day.

Well, we finally live close to grandparents! If you call 160 miles close...in any case, it was close enough to make the drive for Grandparents Day. It was kind of a sacrifice for them, but I know it meant a lot to Kyle. We live in a very close-knit community (sometimes a little too close?), and I think there was literally one kid in his class that didn't have grandparents attending. I know Kyle was happy to NOT be that kid.

It was short, but sweet. In typical boy fashion, Kyle didn't have much to say about the morning. But my parents' comments:

"We felt like such spry, young things walking up those stairs all by ourselves!" (the child-bearing age is much later here...I have friends whose parents are literally 90 years old.)

"Wow, Kyle's penmanship really is awful! And he could care less!" (Yes, indeed.)

1 comment:

christy c larkin said...

your homemade bumper sticker is still on the fridge! i just saw it in st. george :) cute!