Sunshine & Summertime
Recently, I had someone ask me, "Do you guys go swimming a lot during the summer?"
The answer to that question was a "yes." But really it should have been a "Yes" with a capital "Y." Or maybe all caps. "YES." Or Y.E.S. You get the idea...In any case, we go swimming a lot. In fact, we've gone swimming so much the past two summers that Kyle taught himself how to swim. The swimming lessons are only for technique improvement. I'll admit, last summer was a lot more relaxing - plopping my big, pregnant self on the pool steps while Kyle played. This year, I do a lot more chasing Marie around the pool deck than actual swimming. But still, we love it. It's fun, cool, free entertainment. The only thing we do more is this:
I think it's safe to say that we keep the popsicle companies in business. Everyday we pull a blanket out under the shade tree in the backyard, grab a stack of books & and a cooler of popsicles and relax. Somehow, it makes that reading time just a little more fun.I had lots of great plans for this summer - a schedule everyday, field trips once a week, exciting art projects, etc. Well, now that summer's half over, I realize that those plans haven't quite come to fruition. And I was starting to feel bad about that, wondering what I was going to have to show for my summer.
And then I realized that we've had a great summer so far. Who cares if the schedule was a bust? We still managed to cram some learning in. Who cares if I still haven't made it to Michaels to buy all those supplies for my fantastic art projects? We made do with what we had. The field trips? We've had some last minute trips to the magic show and a movie at the park. I'd call that fun.
And there's still time. I have plenty of time to revise my list and decide what I absolutely want to do in the next month. We have a great vacation with family planned in a couple weeks, and plenty more time to make it to the beach. Half the summer may be gone, but here's to the other half that's still ahead!
3 comments:
I am so envious. I wish I had it together as a mother like you do.
Sounds so fun!! We would do lots more swimming if it were close by and free.:}
Ruth, your kids are beautiful! Last time we saw Kyle, he was standing in your trunk on our trip to Kodachrome and Bryce Canyons. Vicky
Post a Comment